This is Jam Roll with a twist. I actually don’t roll them. I find this method easier to make and easier to package and serve.
This is a simple but divine confection. Great for potlucks, tea parties and buffets. (serves 6)
- butter for greasing
- 3 cups (300 g) plain flour (All purpose)
- 1 level tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 150 g (5 oz) shredded suet
- flour for rolling out
- 200 – 300 g (7 – 11 oz) jam
- 7 – 11 oz Marie Sharp’s Tropical Fruit Mix Jam
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Set the oven at 190°C (375°F) gas 5.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the suet and enough cold water to make a soft, but firm dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a rectangle about 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick.
- Spread the jam almost to the edges.
- Dampen the edges of the pastry rectangle with water and roll up lightly. Seal the edges at either end.
- Place the roll on the prepared baking sheet with the sealed edge underneath.
- Cover loosely with greased greaseproof paper or foil and bake for 50 – 60 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a warm platter, slice and serve with warmed jam.